April 26, 2021

Faith-Inspiring Saving Circles Program Update

By Julie Secrist

There is nothing more encouraging than witnessing something that only God could do.

This story begins in 2015-16 when we introduced saving circles, one of the most effective tools for addressing poverty, through an organization with a track record of success with churches in Kampala. The launch went well, but due to our remote location, it was difficult to get the trainers to return to do follow up training. To our disappointment, after about a year, the circles fizzled out. 

Fast forward to summer of 2019 when we were searching for a new program manager. We wanted someone with significant non-profit management experience and cast a wide net. I made a connection to a woman through LinkedIn who was perfect, until we learned of her current salary which was several times what we could afford to pay... Nevertheless, Harriet and I developed a friendship on-line that continued. On my next trip, in October 2019, we arranged to meet face-to-face and attend church together. It was special to worship in person with my new friend.

The church was having a ceremony for students graduating from their skills training program, and for some reason I felt nudged to whisper to her, “We tried saving circles in the village, but they failed because of lack of follow up. It still bothers me.” I felt a little silly saying it because it didn’t really relate to the current ceremony.

Harriet turned to me with a look of surprise, and whispered back, “Did you know that I was the program manager for Care International for the first saving circles that were brought to Uganda? I led the whole launch and creation of the curriculum. I could help you.”

It took me a minute to process what she had just said. After talking further later, I realized that God had “randomly” connected me to one of the premier trainers in microfinance and community led savings associations AND she offered to help us.

Fast forward to 2021, and in May, Harriet will deliver on that offer. She and a team will spend four days in the village with us leading a Train the Trainers Program to launch the saving circles. Ninety people have already signed up-including many of the poorest families who will be helped to save by working on the HEED farm. Harriet and her team will return consistently to provide additional training to ensure that the groups thrive.

Only God could connect all of those dots, and I stand amazed and encouraged at the way God always provides what we need.


Julie Secrist, Harriet Aloyo, Barbara Snow in October 2019